Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A beautiful day in Houston - Day 8

Hard to believe we've been here a week already. Today was gorgeous; sunny and cool with a slight breeze. After our clinic visit, we sat out and ate lunch at the Candlewood Suites Gazebo.

Each day we go to the clinic I practice preparing the drug bags and programming the pump. I'm starting to get it. Our nurses are Vu and Deborah. They're both very nice and hard working. I think Zeb, the two year old, is leaving and some new patients are coming tomorrow.

Marie has gone 24 hrs with tossing her couscous. My Tunisian sister-in-law pointed out that couscous is a delicious, Tunisian, national dish. Marie and her Buddy were spending too much time together so I put Buddy in timeout and Marie took a shower. She's hooked up again and things seem to be going well.

The Amish community were grilling hamburgers for dinner and invited us to eat with them. Three families came to support Martin Miller who's undergoing treatment. Martin was treated with the Gamma Knife but it made matters worst. He can not use his right arm or leg. I believe his tumor is in the same place as Marie's. I'm glad the doctor from West Palm sent us home. We were so disappointed at the time but I think it was for the best.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al or is it Alf, I appreciate you upbeat letters - we need it back here. And I'm glad, Marie, that you went a whle day without loosing your cookies, or rather couscous.

The daily lessons in humility and thankfulness provided by those worse off than you are is probably God's way of making the 'pill go down a little easier'.

We love you both. Keep up the good work.

Dad

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

So your dad said he appreciated Alf's upbeat letters, adding "we really need it back here." So what's going on "back there"? Isn't he with your kids? Hmmmm
Leah must be giving them fits......

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Meisje said...

It isn't Leah, it's Stef! He was giving me fits yesterday, anyway. I was driving down Post Road, I was late, and Stef was right in front of me, driving the speed limit.

That's not natural for a teenage boy. I can only imagine how much trouble he is around the house.........

3:40 AM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

Marie and Al,

This is to let you know that Clan Linn is praying for you. Your blog encourages us in our prayers. Call on us for anything.

Scott Linn and kin

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Leah is a handful!! Grandpa is back in West Palm, so that there would only be 4 kids for Grandma to take care of instead of 5. He will come to Melbourne when he's gets hungry!

Grandma Rose

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Cari-Jean said...

Hello. What a sense of humor you all have. I must've forgotten from this summer. Keep up the good spirits and the jokes =)

Sounds like you all have your hands full with Buddy (it must be pretty bad if you're starting the time-out routine). I know how it can be..... I've dealt with many a buddy and I've been a buddy. Stefan, you used to get in bed with your parents too!?

There is so much encouragement going around from friends and family. It's nice to be supported and well-loved, isn't it? We Bowmans think of you all and pray for you all often, too.

Oh, btw, whatever abt perfect grandkids. I lived with those kids for 10 days, and I didn't notice any behavior that was extroidinare....... well, depends on which way you look at it ;) Mr. Fernandez did say I was marred for life.

But, to be very serious, I am so glad I know the Fernandezes -- what an example of sticking together, caring for one another, praying for each other and looking to the Lord for comfort and strength. It's a testimony to the truth that God is our Rock, our Sustainer and our loving Father.

Thanks for all the posts.

Clay in the hands of the Potter,
Cari-Jean

2:41 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hey,
Uncle Alf, (or is it oderfla?) I am so thankful that you have a talent for writing, it really gives the blog a better 'light'. Aunt Marie, I am so grateful that God gave you to me as an aunt, I couldn't have asked for anyone more beautiful than you. Inside, and out.I am also thankful that God gave you Uncle Al, and his willingness to take care of you. I am keeping you both in my prayers, and I am always thinking about you! I miss you both!

Stefan, great job tonight at the game! See you Friday.
Melanie

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home